Friday, July 2, 2010

The_Aluminist

July 2, 2010

Continuing to add information from the paper version of The Aluminist:

This entire process might be easier if I downloaded every instruction sheet I have access to and took all to a comfy recliner (along with a cold drink) and spent the afternoon studying. That is entirely too sensible so today has been spent attempting to conquer the transferring of photos to these pages.
I appreciate the helpful tips that I've received.

It has just now occurred to me that the past 20 years of publishing The Aluminist has been a constant learning experience! The first few were printed on a manual typewriter and corrections were a real headache. I progressed to a small portable electric one, then to a super helpful word processor that I borrowed from the office. Oh, it was helpful---it was constantly telling me to stop and refused to print another word until I followed it's instructions to make spelling corrections, deleted an incorrect word or comma or whatever else it might object to. I progressed to a simpler PC and then finally to a computer; and then another, and another, until I've lost count. They have all had their own way of doing things and I've never yet won an argument with a computer. I fear that by the time I master all the wonderful things this little laptop has to offer, it will die of exhaustion. TWENTY YEARS and I'm still a dummy. That's scary!

Doug Sutherland is another collector who is continuing to add an occasional piece to his collection. He is very observant and adds new patterns or maker’s names to his extensive collection. He has kindly sent rubbings of these for my records. I hope to share these with you in the future if I’m fortunate enough to find an easy way to transfer the rubbings to these pages. I’m working on it!

Some of you may remember the detailed research that Doug completed on all the companies. The old Aluminist included several copies of that information. Making that information available for serious researchers is another project for this new Aluminist.

Thanks to Mary Ann Felegy for sharing her collection of photographs. I appreciate so very much having them available to share in this and future newsletters. Her collection consisted of many very interesting pieces, many of which I remember her describing to me in a phone call while l turned several shades of green with envy! Texas has never been a good source for hammered aluminum, although a few of my nicest pieces were found at the Canton, Texas flea market —but only because it was frequented by many dealers from northern states .Below, left, is a ceramic Madonna in a Wendell August holder. The drink set, right, was made by World.




No comments:

Post a Comment